What do Shelves sound like?
Apparently, when you’re new and no one yet has concept of your sound or even the genre you’re working in, it’s a good idea to mention which other bands you sound like. I was resistant to the idea; I mean, nobody likes to think their music to be derivative! But maybe that’s just silly and precious. After all, it is a common question we ask between friends about a new band: What does their music sound like?
On that note, let’s try a few on for size:
1. If Teenage Fanclub played in Pavement to songs written by Weezer.
2. Ash with members of a very young Guided by Voices.
3. An un-American Superdrag.
4. Matthew Sweet who never went solo but somehow joined Spoon.
5. Stephen Duffy with a fascination for overdriven guitar amps.
6. Less radio-friendly, and even less macho Foo Fighters.
7. Big Star as a 90’s garage band but with lousier songs.
8. Every band on Naruto Season 1 soundtrack rolled into one.
9. Phantom Planet had the new millennium never happened.
10. Manic Street Preachers, if they were girls – and illiterate.
The mighty Asian Kung-Fu Generation performs Naruto theme song “Haruka Kanata.”